Monday 23 September 2013

In days of olde


Some beautiful lace mantillas from days past. It is lovely to think that the mantilla is alive and well in many traditions today, especially within the Traditional Latin Mass community. Veiling inside a Church where no one veils is also important as it shows people just how beautiful and humble a custom it is, and with prayers, they may follow this example of wearing a head covering to honour God. 


Late 19th century lace mantilla




German cabinet card of a young woman in a lace veil.



Praying at Holy Mass in the 1950s.


Crocheted mantilla in the 1940s with roses.






4 comments:

  1. Amanda, these are so beautiful! I have a white mantilla that belonged to my grandmother back in the day, but I prefer to wear hats because no one else at my parish wears one and I don't want to draw attention to myself. When I am able to go to the Latin Mass, though, I wear a veil.

    I would ask that you remove the link to Tradition Ecclesiastical Tailoring. If you search the internet you will find that they are a fraudulent business. I lost more than $1000 from them trying to buy vestments and the proprietor just ignored my calls and emails. I honestly think that if a women ordered a veil from that place, it would never get sent to her. There are plenty of other places online that both offer beautiful mantillas and are reliable at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting and for the wise advice. A seminarian friend sent me that particular link so I will alert him too. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did your seminarian friend ever order from there and if so what was the outcome?

    @Helen - did you ever get your money back and what did you do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    No I'm pretty sure my friend never ordered from there as after Helen alerted me to the problems, I told him. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete